Metal roofs are extremely durable and long-lasting, making them a great choice in many climates; however, like every other type of material, avoiding a need for expensive metal roof repair starts with providing regular maintenance to keep them in good condition.
Considering a metal roof or have one now?
- Keep Metal Roofing Clean - A clean metal roof that is free of debris, algae, minerals, or anything else that can sit on the metal is the first step toward avoiding the damage that can make metal roof repair necessary. This includes brushing snow and ice off in wintertime in locations that get snow.
- Trim Trees Away From the Roof - To avoid scratches that can progress to surface rusting, keep nearby trees trimmed back far enough that they do not brush against the roof.
- Repair Minor Scratches Quickly - Whether caused by tree branches or something else, scratches through the paint or protective coating should undergo minor metal roof repair to prevent surface rusting that can slowly degrade the material.
- Tighten Loose Panels - Have a metal roof contractor do an inspection every year or so to check for loose panels, a problem that can happen as the seasons pass due to expansion and contraction. Loose fasteners can lead to leaks.
- Get Rust Spots Repaired - Whether caused by scratches through the paint or simply from wear and tear due to the weather, the appearance of rust spots anywhere on the roof is another sign to do minor metal roofing service to prevent the rust from becoming more severe and eating away at the panels.
- Apply Protective Coatings - Keep paint or protective coatings fresh and protective by reapplying as needed once the current coating starts wearing down. When kept up, these coatings will prevent surface rust and keep a metal roof looking its best.
Overall, metal roofs require minimal servicing other than keeping them clean in comparison to other types of roofing materials.
The best way to stay on top of these details and prevent the issues that can lead to damage is to have a metal roof contractor do a thorough inspection every year or two.
Regular metal roofing services can prevent damage that will require metal roof repairs by tightening fasteners, touching up scratches, and even applying a new coat of sealant if necessary to ensure each metal roof lasts as long as it should!